Sunday, December 2, 2012

Volunteer reflections...

Why you started volunteering?

The reason why I started volunteering -- that is an easy one! I do not have fancy stories behind this question. Very honestly, the reason why I started volunteering was because I had too much time on my hands. I was used to working in IT and badly needed something to rejuvenate myself end of the week. So I started volunteering around 4 years back. Krishna Thadepalli, a volunteer, then was my colleague as well. Our tea breaks used to a platform for discussions on sensitive n serious issues. That is when I learned about his volunteering. I wanted to get involved. So the first event I attended was at OmAshram, Independence day celebration. The most worth and memorable Independence day celebrated ever. Then I decided to learn more about volunteer opportunities and find out how I can get involved. So here I stand, with around 4 years of volunteering experience, still hungry for opportunities to help.

What have you done so far as I a volunteer (all the activities you were part of)?

Now, this is a tough one!  As mentioned earlier, I started with OMASHRAM. Then I realized what I am supposed to do. After that I attended a lot of events trying to find happiness in others smiles. Have been part of many events with SURABHI foundation. It feels good when kids storm towards you - "ayee! Poornima akka Poornima akka!". I visit regularly to DESIRE SOCIETY. Since its just behind the place I live. I was thrilled when a four year old here came up to me and asked, "Akka- will you marry me?". One notorious lad he is!  I remember celebrating holi with blind people. I still remember the expression on this old blind man when he held his favorite color blue in his hands. Priceless! Visit to VISHRANTHI gives me a lot of peace. JEEVARATHNI a home for kids, is where I remember most of my childhood. Kavya and her giggle here gives me energy. I also arranged an event for Christmas last year at my work place. Gave away goodies for orphan kids. Its gonna become a never ending story, so I will better stop here :)  From all this people I have met and been with I have learned one very basic and important truth in life. Somewhere deep inside a lot of issues are jumbled up, the fear, agony, love, hate, lust, greed and many more words as reasons. Amidst all this we have forgotten to look for joys of being alive and being blessed every day. We have to start relishing and enjoying the little little happiness around us that daily come by our way. The first sun shine, the smile of kids, the chirping birds, or just helping someone, even the breakfast and lunch. All this means everything for a lot of people in this world.

What motivates you to continue volunteering?

Volunteering not only gives me the opportunity to give back, it gives me something to do. I'll still have plenty of time for exploring local ruins or minds of aged. It helps me see the world with a purpose.
But one word of warning, don't set out to change the world -- you'll be disappointed to learn that the world doesn't necessarily need changing. The best goal is to challenge yourself everyday, test your patience, and open your mind and heart. Be of some sort of help to the aged who are badly in need of a helping hand.

I learned so much about myself while volunteering. I did things that I never imagined I was capable of. The biggest difference I noticed at the end of the day was not external but was the difference inside of myself. Most importantly, I will be changed forever because I will have greater understanding of what is life.
Unlike paid employment, volunteering provides a more flexible schedule and varying time commitments. You may choose to participate in a work camp which is the best part of iVolunteering.
I have met lots of new people through volunteering and it has helped me build up my confidence. I would recommend volunteering iVolunteer to any prospective volunteers.Volunteering makes you feel appreciated and needed.
Volunteering gives me a feeling of responsibility and positive self-esteem. Through volunteering I have acquired personal fulfillment by serving others, confidence, work experience and, moreover, I have experienced a real sense of team spirit.
Whenever I go, I am met with smiles, everyone is very happy to see us. Every time I come it is memorable, we all have a laugh and a joke. I feel happy that I am helping people to do something that they want to do. The other volunteers I work with are a great support.
It has taught me that everyone should be treated on an equal basis.

Disability is in people who treat them so.
I cannot forget to thank my parents for the love and life they have given me.
Love you mom.
Love you dad.

No comments: